Moving to Australia

There are 15 Important Tips:

  • Put all important paper work in a travel file, including birth and marriage certificates, mortgage and bank statements, your driver's licence and any insurance policy documents you have.
  • It's useful to have certified copies of your identification documents as well as electronic copies, as you may need to email these if you need to secure a tenancy agreement.
  • Gather up any doctor or dentist files as well as a copy of any optical prescriptions. If you have children, make sure you get a copy of their immunisation records.
  • If you need medication, make sure you have enough to last until you find a new doctor in Australia.
  • Bring copies of your children's school reports and your resume, including work references and qualifications. Scan and save these documents to a USB memory stick to reduce the amount of paperwork you're travelling with.
  • Finalise and close any utility accounts such as power, gas, internet and phone. Make sure you've supplied a forwarding address for the final statement.
  • Consider closing your bank accounts. You may like to leave a fee free or low fee account open for any last minute banking. Ensure your signing authority is up to date and you're able to provide email or fax instructions if possible.
  • Cancel your insurances where relevant, including house, contents and car. Also review your life insurance - check if it's valid overseas.
  • Bring your superannuation or pension documents and ensure you have the up to date statements showing balances. Check to see if these can be transferred to Australia.
  • Redirect your mail and be sure to advise remaining contacts of your new address.
  • Set up an independent email address (such as with Gmail) and transfer your existing address book over before you leave. You might also like to save this to a USB memory stick as well.
  • Contact your accountant to obtain any taxation advice you might need and advise them of your intending relocation and new address.
  • Advise your solicitor of your intended move and provide them with your new contact details. This might also be a good time to ensure your will is up to date.
  • If you're intending to rent in Australia, it's a good idea to obtain a reference letter. If you've rented previously, get a letter from the property manager or owner of the property. If you own a rental property, obtain a reference letter from your property manager. Alternatively, obtain a personal reference letter.
  • If you're intending to rent, make sure you've budgeted for at least 6-8 weeks rent as most rental properties require four weeks deposit as well as monthly payments in advance.

There are 8 methods (Note: You must meet rigorous immigration criteria)

Method 1: Emigrate under the General Skilled Migration Program.

Apply for a skilled - independent visa.

  • If you choose this method, read through the following steps and choose the step that is in your best interest.
  • This subclass of visa is geared toward skilled workers who can make an immediate contribution to the Australian economy

Apply for a skilled - sponsored visa.

  • You or your partner must be related to a sponsor in Australia as a non-dependent child, parent, sibling, niece, or nephew. Alternatively, an Australian state or territory may sponsor you if they feel you meet a skills shortage.

Apply for a skilled - regional sponsored visa.

  • The requirements are very similar to the skilled - sponsored visa.

Method 2: Obtain a business visa.

Make sure at least one of the following describes you: business owner, senior executive, investor, and/or high calibre business owner.

Make sure that you are either a native English speaker or can pass the International English Testing System test.

Apply for this visa.

Choose one of the following that is in your best interest.

Method 3: Obtain a family visa.

Apply for a partner visa.

  • If you are the spouse, fiancé, or partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, apply for this visa.

Apply for a child migration visa.

  • If you are a dependent child, orphan relative, or adopted child of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, apply for this visa.

Apply for a parent migration visa.

  • If you have a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, apply for this visa.

Apply for an other family visa.

  • If you are a dependent relative or relative and caretaker of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, apply for this visa

Method 4

Apply as a nominee of an employer.

  • If an employer in Australia has nominated you to work there, apply for a visa as a nominee of that employer.

Method 5: Obtain a retirement visa.

Make sure you are at least 55 years old, have no dependents other than a spouse, and are able to completely support yourself in Australia.

Apply for this visa.

Complete whichever of the following steps is in your best interest.

Method 6: Obtain a student visa.

Apply for an ELICOS Student Sector Visa (subclass 570).

  • This is for students who desire to study English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

Apply for a Schools Sector Student Visa (subclass 571).

  • This is for students who wish to undertake a primary course of study that is a primary or secondary school course.

Apply for a Vocational Education and Training Sector Student Visa (subclass 572).

  • This is for students who wish to obtain Certificate 1, II, III, or IV, a Diploma, or an Advanced Diploma.

Apply for a Higher Education Sector Student Visa (subclass 573).

  • This is for students who wish to pursue a bachelor's degree, graduate certificate, or graduate diploma.

Apply for a Postgraduate Research Student Sector Visa (subclass 573).

  • This is for students who wish to obtain a master's degree by research or a doctorate degree.

Apply for a Non-Award Sector Student Visa (subclass 575).

  • This is for students who wish to study a course that does not lead to an Australian award.

Apply for an AusAID or Defense Sponsored Student Visa (subclass 576).

  • This is for students who are sponsored by Australia's Defence Department or AusAID.

Apply for a Student Guardian Visa (subclass 580).

  • This is for guardians of students who study in Australia.

Method 7: Plan your move to Australia.

Find a home in Australia after you have been accepted.

  • Visit or perform an Internet search for other sites.
  • Contact anyone you know in Australia for recommendations.

Find an international mover.

  • A simple search on an internet search engine will help you choose the best international mover.
  • Contact anyone you know who has moved internationally for recommendations.

Method 8: Move to Australia.

Make sure you close all bank accounts in your current country and transfer them to accounts in Australia as soon as possible.

Pay off any debts or other liabilities before you leave. Take care of any other problems that you may have difficulty solving when in a different country.